While wooden pickleball paddles aren’t considered the best pickleball paddles for an intermediate or experienced player, they’re a great option for new players.
As a beginner, you should give the ErPils Pickleball Paddle a try. It’s a great buy because of it’s quality, low price point and it’s available in a set of 4.
The paddle is made from high-quality, 9-ply basswood wood and features a wider body design that offers excellent control and power. It also has a comfortable grip that reduces hand fatigue during long matches.
At this low price point, you can buy a set of 4 wood paddles with balls for less than the price of a composite paddle.
So, if you’re on a budget or if you’re just playing for fun with the kids, a wooden pickleball paddle will work fine.
When I first started playing pickleball at the local community centers, I played with a wood pickleball paddle and it was good enough for me to try out the game and decide if I wanted to continue.
I now own several different composite paddles and graphite pickleball paddles.
We highly recommend the ErPils Pickleball Paddle Set for anyone looking for a paddle set made with wooden construction.
- The 9-ply stronger basswood material makes the paddle more durable, and powerful, with better control.
- The wider paddle area provides more sweet spots for the perfect shot, even for beginners.
- The grip is comfortable and sweat-wicking, minimizing slippage and fatigue during long play.
- The paddles are heavier than fiberglass or graphite paddles.
- The carrying bag could be more durable.
The ErPils Pickleball Paddle Set is a great value for those who want to start playing pickleball with friends and family.
The set includes four durable paddles, four high-performing pickleballs, four cooling towels, and a carrying bag.
The 9-ply basswood material makes the paddle more durable and powerful, while the wider racket area provides more sweet spots for the perfect shot.
The grip is comfortable and sweat-wicking, minimizing slippage and fatigue during long play, making this a good choice.
However, the paddles are heavier than other wood paddles, and the carrying bag could be more durable.
Overall, this is a great set for beginners looking to get into pickleball, or players who don’t want to invest in composite paddles.
The paddle face dimensions are 7.7″ wide x 10.5″ long. The handle length is 5.2″ long. The paddle weight is 9.8 oz.
If you’re looking for a great set of pickleball paddles, the Amazin’ Aces Pickleball Wood Paddle Set is a good option for beginners or anyone looking for a reliable set of paddles.
- Durable construction, well known manufacturer of paddles
- Comfortable cushion grip with wrist strap
- Comes with everything you need to get started
- A bit heavy at over 10oz
- Tape on handle can come off after a few uses
We recently tested out the Amazin’ Aces Pickleball Wood Paddle Set and were impressed with its durability and comfortable grip.
The paddles feature a 7-ply wood construction made from maple, which makes them sturdy and able to withstand regular use.
The cushion grip with wrist strap also makes them comfortable to hold for extended periods of time.
The set comes with everything you need to get started, including two wood paddles, four pickleballs, and a carry bag.
This makes it a great option for beginners or anyone looking for an affordable set of paddles.
However, at over 10oz, the paddles can feel a bit heavy for some players, and some players have reported that the tape on the handle can come off after a few uses.
Overall, the Amazin’ Aces Pickleball Wood Paddle Set is a great option for anyone looking for a reliable set of paddles at an affordable price point.
For new players looking for a budget-friendly option, then the Franklin Sports Pickleball Paddle and Ball Set – Activator is a great choice.
- Comes with everything you need for a two-player game
- Durable paddles built with heavy-duty, 7-ply basswood construction
- X-40 outdoor pickleballs made for ultimate precision and durability
- The plastic edge guard around the paddle may crack eventually
- A lighter paddle may not suit advanced players
We found the Franklin Sports Pickleball Paddle and Ball Set – Activator to be a great starter set for new pickleball players.
The paddles are built with heavy-duty, 7-ply wood and have a non-slip comfort grip.
The set comes with (2) X-40 outdoor pickleballs, all of which are USA Pickleball (USAPA) approved.
However, the plastic edge around the paddle may crack eventually, and the lightweight paddles may not suit all players.
We highly recommend the Amicoson Pickleball Paddles for anyone looking for an affordable new paddle and reliable entry-level set. It gives you everything needed for singles play and extra paddles for doubles play!
- This wooden pickleball paddle set comes with four durable paddles, eight high-performing pickleballs, a carrying bag, and a carrying bag.
- The 7-ply wood construction made from maple provides plenty of power and durability.
- The specially designed grip minimizes slipping while maximizing balance, and the perforated, sweat-absorbent cushioned grip allows for long-time play without fatigue.
- The paddles are slightly heavier than some other wooden options on the market.
- The carrying bag is not as durable as some other options.
Overall, the Amicoson Pickleball Paddles are an excellent choice for beginners and families looking to get into the game.
The paddles are well-made and provide a comfortable grip, and the set comes with everything you need to get started.
At a weight of 9.5-10oz, the paddles are slightly heavier than some other wooden options on the market, but this can also provide more power and control.
If you’re looking for a complete pickleball set with everything you need to get started, the AOPOUL Pickleball Paddles Set is a great choice.
- The set includes 4 high-quality paddles made of 9-ply poplar hardwood for durability and strength.
- The plush grip is made of soft material and ergonomic design, providing comfort and control during long play sessions.
- The set comes with 4 cooling towels, 4 pickleballs, and a carrying bag, making it a perfect gift for friends and family.
- The paddles may be heavier than some other wooden paddles, but they still provide good control and power.
- The set is designed for beginners, so more experienced players may prefer paddles with more advanced features.
- The carrying bag may not be as durable as some other bags on the market.
We recently had the opportunity to try out the AOPOUL Pickleball Paddles Set and were impressed with the quality and value of the set.
The paddles are well-made and provide good control and power, while the grip is comfortable and easy to hold.
This convenient starter pack pickleball set comes with everything you need to get started, including pickleballs, towels, and a carrying bag.
The paddles are made of 9-ply poplar hardwood, which makes them stronger and more durable than typical 7-ply wood paddles.
The grip is sweat-wicking and ventilated to minimize slippage and allow for flawless wrist movement and flexible rotation.
Additionally, the wide-body design provides more perfect hitting points, even for pickleball beginners.
The set is a great value for the price and is designed for pickleball beginners. The paddles weigh around 8 ounces each and have a grip size of 4 1/4 inches.
When choosing a wood pickleball paddle, there are several factors to consider to ensure you get the best paddle for your needs.
Pros of Wooden Pickleball Paddles
Wooden paddles are known for being a great option for beginner players who don’t want to spend too much money. The low price point makes a wooden pickleball paddle a good paddle to start playing with.
Cons of Wooden Pickleball Paddles
One downside to wooden paddles is that they may not provide as much power as other materials. They also tend to have a shorter lifespan than other materials, as they are more prone to cracking and warping over time.
FAQ – The Best Wooden Pickleball Paddles
What are the advantages of using wood paddles in pickleball?
Wooden paddles offer a great feel and touch on the ball, providing excellent control and accuracy. They also tend to be more affordable than other materials, making them a great option for beginners or those on a budget.
Are wooden paddles legal for tournament play?
Yes, wooden paddles are legal for tournament play as long as they meet the official size and weight requirements set by the USAPA and approved for tournament play.
What are the differences between wood and graphite paddles?
Graphite paddles are typically lighter and more durable than wooden paddles, but they can also be more expensive. Wooden paddles offer a unique feel and are often preferred by players who prioritize control over power.
Can wooden paddles compete with plastic and aluminum paddles?
Wooden paddles can compete in terms of control and accuracy, but plastic and aluminum paddles may offer more power and speed.
What are some recommended brands for wood pickleball paddles?
Some recommended brands for wooden paddles include Franklin, Amazin Aces and Diller.
How does the Diller pickleball paddle compare to other wood paddles?
The Diller pickleball paddle is a great option for beginners or those on a budget. While it may not offer the same level of performance as higher-end wooden paddles, it provides a solid feel and good control on the ball.